Thursday, August 24, 2006

Shame on Me!

I have allowed way too many days pass by without a post. Please forgive me blogging buddies and friends alike! This past week has been filled with children birthday parties, baby showers, and a wedding shower. It is the season. And there are more to come..........2 more on Saturday and 1 more on Monday. Not to mention, I am putting together a bridal shower next Saturday for a girl named Jaque who works with us at the Fiel ministry. Below are some photos from one of the baby showers. Let me just tell you they are completely different than what you would expect in the States. Read the captions below. Here are the ladies playing a game after the devotional. Who can dress the baby the fastest?
When you are given an invitation for a shower, you are told what present to buy and what food to bring. This really shocked me when I was first invited to a shower. For example: bring something sweet, and a baby bottle. Kinda funny, huh? I guess they want to have a variety of food and to save the guest of honor from getting repeat gifts. No such thing as a baby registry here! Most gifts are baby shampoo, cottonballs or diapers and sometimes clothes are given. Below is a photo of a women cutting a "salty cake". This is a common treat made for showers or special events. It is layered with white bread and has a filling of chicken salad with eggs, olives, corn and such. It is then iced with mashed potatoes and topped with potato sticks. I usually avoid it as I am unsure of the amount of time the mayonnaise has been out of the fridge.
Below is a photo of James staring at the cake. This little boy loves sweets! Another common occurrence is there are never plates or forks at showers. (Mainly because these items are expensive and they can do without them.) One is expected to eat cake off of a napkin. So I usually volunteer myself to bring these items!!
Here is a photo of my dear friend Rosilene and a little girl from her church. She was the one that invited me to this shower at her church. Rose's husband works with Rick at the Fiel ministry and just recently went with Rick to a Christian Booksellers expo in the US. She and her family just moved to our apartment building and James has been spending a lot of time with her two little daughters. I have a video clip that I want to post of them playing. Look for it soon.
This little girl followed me around like a little puppy. She kept asking me to say something in English all night! She was so cute that I had to take a photo of her.
Here are all the children at the shower. They noisily played behind the church. And of course, my blondie is a favorite among the girls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I agree with Becca...You seem to tell us a little about life over there, good job! Take care of yourself and dont put too much on your plate honey! Give our little blondie a kiss and hug fm Nana and Papa. Love, Mom

Jillina said...

Reese I was starting to wonder about you. It's good to have you back in the blogging world. :) I love hearing how things are different - I would have never thought showers could be so different, I love the idea of putting on the invite what to buy - you don't have to worry finding just the right gift.

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com